Monday, April 19, 2010

Sorry for the lack of blogging. Jono and I do not have internet in our apartment as of yet, but we are working to get that fixed. Got to have internet if I can't have cable! We are almost done unpacking, we just have the "not important" stuff that you can't decide whether to throw away or shove in the back of the closet. So far the apartment looks good. It's always a challenge to rearrange things to a new setting when you move. It's nice to be in a two-bedroom and have a little more space. Right now our extra bedroom is serving as our (mostly mine) office for doing all the work and storing all the "not important" items mentioned above. Here are some things we have learned/experience at our apartment:
  • Every night we can hear Disneyland's fireworks at 9:30 pm sharp. The first couple nights we lived here I was by myself because Jono was working in San Diego (see below) and when I heard them I got scared. I finally induced the loud bangs outside were fireworks, and probably from Disneyland. We can also hear Angel Stadium's Big Bang Friday fireworks as well. I haven't been able to see them from our windows but Jono and I are planning a date on our roof to see if we can spot them. We saw some Disneyland fireworks yesterday while driving home on the freeway close to our apartment, so we know they are out there!
  • It gets VERY windy in Orange. Especially at night. Our windows are very thin and you can hear everything that goes on outside and when it gets windy it wakes us up at night. One night I thought the wind was actually thunder. From where we lay in our bedroom we can look out the window and see one single palm tree that is about 100 ft tall. We can tell if it's windy or not by how far the palm tree is swaying.
  • Speaking of thin windows, last night we were woken up by two cats that were hissing and growling (more like high pitched screams) at each other from outside. And we are on the 2nd floor! They continued to banter all night long and woke us up a couple times throughout the night. Ya, thanks.
  • Parking is very scarce around these parts. We get the one assigned managers parking spot next to our building but have to hunt down a spot for the other car. Usually whoever gets home first gets this lovely assignment to find a parking spot. This isn't a problem for Jono, the parallel parking king (I swear he can park into any size spot). However, I am not a parallel parking driver. I will park half a mile down the street just so I can comfortably fit into a spot.
  • We get lots of visitors knocking on our door on Saturdays. Within three hours there were 3 knocks on our door from people trying to give us religion pamphlets or to buy movie ticket packages. Saturday night while Jono and I were eating dinner at our table we hard a faint knock on the door. I couldn't tell if it came from our door or our next door neighbors (our doors are right next to each other). When I looked at the door I saw two eyes staring at us through our mail slot and I squealed a little. (This is another feature of our apartment that makes me nervous. Anyone from the outside can open our mail slot and look inside. And this experience confirmed my nervous feelings.) A little boy was at our door and asked "If that boy could come play." We told him he didn't live here anymore and he said ok and left. Kind of cute, but kind of creepy at the same time.
Jono continues to work hard. He is done with busy season (well, supposed to be but the client he is on now closes their books later than most companies so he's been working late). He worked in San Diego a couple weeks ago so I got to go down for a couple days to relax and be with him. We got to visit the newly remodeled Mormon Battalion history center which was pretty cool. Definitely a better learning experience than it was before.







I started school and am now in my 4th week of spring quarter. I have 3 midterms this week with 2 more to follow in the upcoming weeks. Time flies on the quarter schedule and I love it. Although because quarters last only 10 weeks long I often find myself in the last 2-3 weeks of the quarter scrambling to get all of my papers and assignments done, like some of my previous posts talk about. My classes are going well so far. There are some I like and some I don't like. But the good news is after this quarter I'll only have 6 more classes until I graduate! I am trying not to let myself slack and get "senioritis" but I am finding that will be more challenging that I expect it to be. I am so ready to be done with school. Four years of college is more than enough for me.

Well that's all for the update for now. We'll keep you posted with our life events!

2 comments:

Audrey Crisp said...

I didn't know you all moved. Doesn't moving suck? That's too bad about the cats keeping you up and the parking and the slot in your door. I guess the good part about the slot is is that you don't have to go anywhere to get your mail. Ours is kind of far away and so I never get it. HAHA.. I wanna see pics of the new place when you're all settled in. That is also kind of cool about the DL fireworks!

Alex and Becca said...

I wanna come visit and go to Disneyland!