My due date was Wednesday, May 22. Well that came and went, but I wasn't too surprised. (Will ended up being 9 days late) My doctor set an induction date for Sunday morning, the 26th, at 3 am.
Friday night, the 24th, I started having contractions around 9 pm, but they weren't consistent. I took a warm bath at 11 pm and was in bed by midnight. At 12:30 am I was woken up by strong abdominal and lower back pain. For the next 45 minutes I was having contractions about 7-9 minutes apart.
At 1:45 am contractions were coming every 4-5 minutes apart and I realized these weren't going away, tonight was the night! So I woke up Jono, gave him a list of what we needed to do/pack, and I hopped in the shower. By the time my shower was done my contractions were coming every 3-4 minutes, and they were getting a lot stronger. I told Jono we needed to get everything in the car and leave, because this kid was coming fast! With wet hair and no makeup on I got in the car, we dropped off Will at our friends place that live up the street, and by 3 am we were off to the hospital.
By 3:30 am I was getting changed into the lovely gown and got hooked up to the monitor. Contractions were coming every 3 minutes apart and I was doing everything I could to get through each one. The nurse checked me and I was dilated to 6 cm! The first thing I thought when she told me was "Thank you!!" It's always reassuring to know you are actually progressing given the amount of pain. They started my IV so I could get my epidural and then wheeled me up to my delivery room.
FINALLY at 4:45 am I was ready to have my epidural. Thank the heavens. It took about 10 minutes to start working and I was finally able to relax a bit--and it felt goooood. My right side was fully numb but I could still feel mild contractions on my left side. They turned me on my left side and propped me up with pillows everywhere and I was in heaven. Now it was just time to wait.
At 5:30 am Dr. Wittingen came in and broke my water. He said he would be back in a little while to check on me. About a minute later he came back in the room--the nurse said the baby's heart rate had dropped. So the doctor checked me and sure enough, I was dilated to 10 cm and baby was ready to go! They got everything ready and waited for the next contraction to come so I could push.
When a contraction came the nurse told me to push three times for 10 seconds each. They told me he was coming out and after pushing through two more contractions, baby boy was here! I was so relieved and happy it happened so quickly he was finally here in my arms!
Noah Thomas Castleton
Saturday, May 25, 2013 | 6:01 am
7lbs 15oz | 21.5in
Apgar Scores: 8 & 9
When I first heard him cry I thought how much he sounded like Will after he was born. They immediately put him on my chest and rubbed him clean. Jono cut the umbilical cord and I got to admire and cuddle him while I was cleaned up.
At 7 am he got his first sponge bath. He didn't like getting his body washed, by he loved getting his hair washed. He was dressed in a white shirt and diaper and got all wrapped up in blankets, and then Jono got to hold him for the first time.
Just before 10 am we were transferred to our post partum room, ate breakfast, called/texted family and friends, and slept. I always love our hospital stays--just spending time together as a family and getting to know our new son. Unfortunately, Will wasn't able to visit us in the hospital. We left the hospital Sunday evening and Will joined us after he woke up from his nap.
Noah is the sweetest little baby and we are thrilled he is here with us.
Love our little family.








4 comments:
Congrats!!! Happy for you guys! It's been such s hard adjustment for me, so I hope it goes smoothly for you!
Yay! So glad he's here! I loved reading your birth story. You look so beautiful! I can only hope that my second delivery goes as smoothly as yours did. You have such a beautiful family!
Ady - you are so grown up! Congratulations! Love you! You have a gorgeous family!
He beautiful!!! Congrats!!!!
Post a Comment