Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Laundry Day

Today is laundry day. Actually I only have one load of whites to do, but when you have to do it at the apartment community laundry site it constitutes a whole day of laundry. I start off by collecting the dirty laundry, obtaining the bag of laundry detergent/fabric softeners, quarters for the washing load, car keys, and mail to drop into the mail box. When I get to the laundry site I see there is another car parked outside. I go in and find an available washer, check inside to make sure it is empty and toss everything in with some soap. The gentlemen asks how I am doing and I say I am good, with a follow up question of how he is doing. I gather up my stuff and head back to the car know that in 34 minutes my laundry will be done washing.

I come home and continue my studying for the big test tomorrow. Facts about the Morrill Act, atmospheric composition, meristimatic tissue and greenhouses are almost too exciting to keep me from thinking about all the other wonderful things I could be doing today--shopping, watching a good tv show, reading a good book, etc. After spending too much time getting carried away in the world of plants I remember that my laundry was done 20 minutes ago. I painfully tear away from my studies (ya right...) and remember I have to scrounge up two more quarters or else I would be hang-drying my clothes. I manage to find one in a bathroom drawer and another in the bottom depths of my purse. I drive back to the site and begin to make the change of my clothes from the washer to the dryer. About half way through I see a dark object among all the white. I silently scold myself for not having seen it before I put the clothes in the washer...whites and colors do not wash well together. I pulled out the piece of clothing to inspect it. As I hold it up I see they are blue striped mens boxers from the gap--and I know they are not Jono's. My mind begins suddenly making up stories to explain how this clothing item got into my load of laundry....and none of them were good. So I placed them on the counter and started the dryer. As I left the site I thought about the day when we would own our washer and dryer...private and secluded from everyone else's clothing items that might sneak their way in with our loads of laundry.

Another note....when I lived in the dorms at BYU I lost a considerable amount of clothing while doing my laundry in the basement (mostly cute tops). I think we need to make community washers and dryers with locks on them so people will stop this invasion of privacy and theft.

4 comments:

Audrey Crisp said...

Man...I've never had to live in a place with shared laundry! I'm so sorry you have to deal with that! If it makes you feel Any better , our washer/dryer is outside! So last week when
it was super rainy I had to do it in the rain! Haha!

Aubrey and Aaron Antis said...

that has happened to me before, but i also was thinking maybe that man didnt have enough money to pay for his clothes to be washed? so maybe you did him a service :)

Cason and Marie said...

I think I would be mad. Especially since they were dark!!! Talk about ruin your laundry. But that is true, just count it as your service for the week!! How nice of you! :)

Liese said...

My apartment has a community washer/dryer room too. I hate it. I now go over to friends apartments to do my laundry so 1. I dont have to pay for it 2. so that I don't have things go missing...cuz that tends to happen alot too